Two of the top rated high school tennis programs in the nation squared off against one another at Saint Andrew's School this week.
The #1 UTR rated high school girls team in the nation Doral Academy faced #2 Saint Andrew's School in a battle that went down to the wire. After Saint Andrew's took both doubles matches to jump out to a 2-0 lead, Doral came storming back, winning the first three singles matches to finish to take a 3-2 lead with two matches remaining on court. At #2 singles, SA junior Santianna Chrysopoulo pulled off the upset defeating Valeria Centeno 8-5 to tie the match at 3 apiece. SA sophomore Manci Pal clinched things for the Scots as she won 8-4 in a marathon that was closer than the score indicated, giving Saint Andrew's the win over the nation's top rated team.
On the boys side, The #1 UTR rated high school boys team in the nation, faced # 7 Doral Academy in a match that would be decided by a tiebreaker in the final match.
Saint Andrew's went into the match missing their #2 player from the defending State Championship team, but took Doral to the limit anyway. After doubles, the score was tied at 1-1. The match came down to the #1 Singles position where Doral's Luis Fernandez outlasted the Scots Jacob Lowen in a tiebreaker to win the match 8-7, securing victory for the Firebirds.
Saint Andrew's Coach Reid Rafter said, "Today we had an NCAA atmosphere out there, not to mention NCAA level tennis being played by both the girls and the boys teams. I'm so proud of them both. Our girls have had this match marked on the calendar ever since losing to Doral in the DecoTurf High School Championships two years ago, and they came out and took it right to the top rated team in the nation. Our boys, in spite of being without a top contributor in both singles and doubles, took these guys to the limit. Even though it didn't go his way this time, there is no one I would rather have in a deciding match than Jacob Lowen. He has won so many huge matches for us, and will win more in the future I'm certain!"
Saint Andrew's d. Doral Academy 4-3
- Valeria Ray DA d. Sara Snyder SA 8-2
- Santianna Chrysopoulo SA d. Valeria Centeno DA 8-5
- Brenda Yoris DA d. Madison Smith SA 8-7 (4)
- Manci Pal SA d. Lauren Kettlewell DA 8-4
- Alba Martinez DA d. Niamh Harding SA 8-5
- Snyder/Smith SA d. Ray/Centeno DA 8-2
- Chrysopoulo/Izzy Forster SA d. Yoris/Martinez DA 8-5
Doral Academy d. Saint Andrew's 4-3
- Luis Fernandez SA d. Jacob Lowen DA 8-7 (3)
- Ryan Nash SA d. Andres Roguez DA 8-3
- Andres Fente SA d. Facundo Olmedo DA 8-0
- Grayson Williams DA d. Charlie Pizzuti SA 8-1
- Peyton Williams DA d. Isaac Smith SA 8-1
- Lowen/ Fente SA d. Fernandez/Rodriguez DA 8-1
- Williams/Williams d. Nash/Smith SA 8-7 (4)